New Malden Velo has its roots in a group of friends who used to ride together on a Sunday morning, mostly in the Surrey Hills and was formally created as a club in 2014 by Simon, Jeff and Luca, during a cycling trip to St Jean de Sixt near Annecy in France. The below photo was taken on that trip, on the Col de la Colombiere.
The Objectives of the Club:
- To promote the amateur sport of cycling in New Malden with the aim of increasing the amount of cyclists within the local area – we all cycled as children, so let’s keep people on 2 wheels
- To give cyclists of varying ages and ability levels the opportunity to enjoy social and leisure cycling activities within a safe, group environment
- For all our members to enjoy cycling and ride with the ethos that “no one gets left behind”
- To represent the local community in sportives and races as appropriate
We are open to..
- Club membership shall be open to anyone interested in the sport regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non-discriminatory basis.
We take part in..
- Charity rides
- Club training rides
- Recreational rides
- Road racing
Benefits of Membership
- Access to our private Facebook group and pre-planned routes and rides
- Opportunity to purchase club kit at great prices
- Club affiliation to “British Cycling” (providing British Cycling membership discounts for club members as well as entry into the national and regional rankings)
- “Cycling Time Trials” club membership, enabling you to take part in time trials if you so wish
- On-the-road learning – getting riding tips off of fellow riders
- Safety in numbers – it’s safer on the roads to be seen and cycle in groups
- Access to local cyclists in the club for advice and tips on all things bike-related!
- …and above all a chance to ride with a nice bunch of like-minded people
All we’d ask is that you let us know that you are coming out for one of our rides.
Luca, Jeff and Simon.